I found so many cute ideas for sports nails on Pinterest when I was doing some research for my blog, so I thought I would try a few ideas for myself. I tweaked some ideas to make them easier/more understandable for the purpose of my blog. Below, I have incorporated a picture slideshow of the nails designs I painted and below the slideshow, I explain how I accomplished each design.
1. The first nail design I tried was simple football nails with your favorite team’s colors. For the Seahawks, I used green and blue nail polish, then brown polish to design a football. I used Pure Ice in Deja Vu, Maybelline’s Color Show Polka Dots in Drops of Jade, and Essie in Little Brown Dress. I painted my thumb and ring fingernails blue and my pointer and middle fingernails green. I painted the pinky fingernail brown then, once very dry, I drew on the lines for the football with silver Sharpie. (Disclaimer: I would recommend using nail art pens instead of Sharpies. I had to redo some nails a few times using Sharpies, and when you put a top coat on the Sharpie will smear. For the purpose of my blog though, I used Sharpie for the pictures.)
2. The second nail design was my Seahawks nails. I purchased the nail decals from Etsy (this woman makes all of her own decals and they come in many different teams). I used blue/grey nail polish, then inserted the decals straight on my nails. The decals were a little difficult to work with, so I only chose two nails to apply them to (although if I had more time and patience, I would have applied the decals to every nail). I used Sally Hansen’s Hard As Nails Xtreme Wear in Gunmetal. I painted my thumb nail, middle fingernail, and ring fingernail with the blue/grey polish. I applied a second coat and a top coat and let dry well. Then I applied a full nail decal to my pointer fingernail and a smaller Seahawk decal to my pinky fingernail, applied a top coat, and let dry well. I was very satisfied with the results.
3. The third nail design I tried was Olympics-themed nails. With the passing of the Winter Olympics, I wanted to try my own nail design to commemorate the event. I used white nail polish as the background and Sharpies to draw a ring on each finger for each of the Olympics rings. I used Sinful Colors Professional in Show Me White. I painted all of my nails white, applied a second coat, and let dry well. Then I used blue Sharpie to draw the blue ring on my thumbnail, yellow Sharpie for the yellow ring on my pointer fingernail, black Sharpie for the black ring on my middle fingernail, green Sharpie for the green ring on my ring fingernail, and red Sharpie for the red ring on my pinky fingernail. I didn’t apply a top coat because the Sharpie would smear, but if you use nail art pens, you would be able to apply a top coat.
4. My fourth nail design was simple basketball nails. For this one, I did not use team colors, but you could easily tweak it to include your favorite team’s colors. I used orange nail polish, then drew a basketball on my thumb nail. I used OPI’s Bond Girls Collection in Jinx. I painted all of my nails orange, applied a second coat, and let dry well. Then I used black Sharpie to draw a basketball on my thumb nail.
5. The fifth nail design I tried was simple baseball nails. I used red polish and white polish for the baseball nail. I chose the red polish to compliment the red lines for the baseball, but you could substitute this for any color. I used CoverGirl’s Boundless Color in Crushed Berries and Sinful Colors Professional in Show Me White. I painted all of my nails, besides my ring fingernail, red and painted my ring fingernail white. I applied another coat for each nail, and let dry well. Then I used a red Sharpie to draw red lines on the white nail to design a baseball.
6. The final nail design I chose was team baseball nails. I chose the Texas Rangers since I do not really have a baseball team and the Texas Rangers have a pretty big fan base. I used blue and red polish for the team colors, white polish for the baseball, and red and silver Sharpies. I used Pure Ice in Deja Vu, Pure Ice in All Nighter, and Sinful Colors Professional in Show Me White. I started by painting the thumb and pinky fingernails blue, then painted the pointer and middle fingernails red. I painted the ring fingernail white, then applied second coats of nail polish for each nail and let dry well. Then I wrote a number 11 for Yu Darvish on my pointer and middle fingernails with silver Sharpie (you can do the jersey number for your favorite player) and used a red Sharpie to draw red lines on the white nail to design a baseball.
There are an endless number of possibilities for sports nails, and I tweaked most of my ideas from what I found on Pinterest. You can search sports nails, football nails, baseball nails, basketball nails, or whatever sport suits your fancy.